Thursday, November 27, 2014

Growing strawberry plant in Singapore

I know that people say that it is impossible to grow strawberry plant in Singapore. I can only tell you that they are wrong!

On 15 August 2014, I bought some strawberries from the local supermarket. If I'm not wrong, the strawberries were from Australia. I used a sharp knife and removed the seeds from the surface of the strawberries. I chose the seeds which were darker and looked more ripen. It was quite a tedious task to remove the seeds as they were very small to handle. After removing the seeds, I placed them into some potting soil and watered them thoroughly. I kept the soil moist and placed it under direct sunlight. If I'm not wrong, they will start to germinate after two months.

I would have placed 100 seeds into the soil and only 20 seeds germinated. I re-potted them as soon as they germinated into seedlings. I cut the plastic bottle into halves and invert the top and create holes in the cap. The holes in the cap will allow water to be drained away.

I notice that the seedlings need strong sunlight to grow and I have placed them under direct sunlight. However, in November, the sun direction has changed and I'm not getting sunlight to my window sill. So on 26 November, I have taken 5 seedlings and placed them under direct sunlight in my office balcony. Hopefully, I can see whether the sunlight will make the seedlings grow faster.

Strawberry plant seedlings
Close-up shot of a strawberry seedling using my macro lens

No comments:

Post a Comment